Sunday, August 01, 2010

Bicycle Freedom

When about my son's age like him I started riding a bike.

When people enumerate life's important rites of passage they often fail to list this truly great one.

To the point this weekend he and I and his younger brother spent time together as he learned to get from A to B on 2 new wheels.

There really isn't a lot in terms of textbook knowledge that one can impart on the subject: spit balling it I said it's really an intuitive thing. Dad, what does that mean? Well, once you get it you get it, and it doesn't take long. It's about momentum and balance, knowing how to turn and stop, and when you're experienced you can do cool things like wheelies and riding "no hands". But the main point I wanted to make to him (aside from being damn careful) is that having a bike gives one the freedom within reason to go where and when you want to -- anyway that was the case when I was a kid growing up in the '60s and '70s. I think he got that as the most subtle part of the initiation. I hope he can take full advantage of the opportunity.